Ashley M Dee

Unacceptable

These organizations are supposedly set up and funded to help people. Yet, they are rude and very unhelpful, and it's nearly impossible to get any kind of help if you are struggling these days.

They lose you in the system, allegedly, and are in no hurry to assist you, even though they ask for all kinds of information and want it done super fast, or they cut you off.

The cost of living is so high these days and we are taxed heavily for what? What are they using all this money for, because it's not going where it's supposed to.

Katherine S Mii

| map-marker Memphis, Tennessee

Consistent no help for 5 months.

I have been trying to renew my benefits since at least January '24. I filed an appeal to get some of my benefits back which I felt were unnecessarily taken away from me. I never heard anything back from this. Then I just figured I'd try to just submit a completely new application. I was supposed to have an interview in January after that, but I never received that appointment call.

I felt completely defeated: so time passed by where I just didn't really want to think about it. Also, every time I call my offices here in Shelby County, I am on hold for at least an hour, just to talk to some operator (not even at my offices with whom I intended to contact) for maybe a minute, so that they can just tell them to give me a call back at a later time. Who knows if they will even call me back, as seen earlier.

So now I decided months later to try again after doing my best to try not to rely on Government assistance since it seems impossible to get actual help. I tried to apply for many jobs with no avail. Even if I did receive a job, it would be near impossible to provide for my son and me. Currently, I am a technically homeless almost 33 years old. Luckily I live with my mother but I do not have means to have my own life at all.

So hopefully you can see how stuck I am, and how I am in dire need of these services unfortunately. I also have been diagnosed with severe depression which I chose not to really disclose seeing as It's not like I receive benefits or anything for it, as this is a whole other daunting process to go through. As apparently it doesn't really seem to make a difference anyway.

I am trying to receive at least SNAP and TANF. My child's father is not regular with child support so I NEED these things to even try to make some kind of impact in my life especially with this recession we are going through. I was receiving these things easily until I decided to apply for childcare services. I fell behind on submitting the documents needed for that specific service unfortunately.

And frankly, I didn't even receive half of the services I expected to receive during as well. Like job help, resources, and housing assistance like I was told I would get on our first call. All I got was someone making sure I turned in paperwork and that's it. I expected the childcare services to go away but not my previously held benefits of SNAP and TANF.

So that's when I appealed those benefits to come back to absolutely no avail. I hate to call because like I said I am always put on hold for at least 1 hour; other times up to 3 hours! I thought this new computer system y'all were implementing was supposed to make things easier.

It definitely seems as though it's only made the workers be more lazy. Y'all now close an hour earlier and like I said I can literally get no customer service if I call, just an operator for 1-2 minutes max. I don't know about y'all but I don't think anyone likes to be put on hold for hours during the day to speak with an operator for 2 minutes max. I have been on hold for 2 hours and 13 minutes!

I spoke to a lady and requested to be transferred to the complaints phone number and since then have been on hold for almost an hour. I even asked if she was able to transfer me or if she knew the number. I'm guessing now she's either bitter or is not able. Now I am not even able to submit a survey because she won't let me go or tell me what's really going on. (Still on hold for 2 hours and 35 minutes as I am editing this.)

I just want to be able to somewhat affordably provide for my family so I am not always in emergency survival mode. I thought y'all were supposed to help those in desperate poverty. Y'all used to be a lot more helpful, now I get no help. If I missed my interview, they used to leave me a voicemail asking to call them back because the interview is not long at all, 10-15 minutes max! Just to verify the documents I sent!

Granted I do admit I did miss my appointment. But granted I also asked for an afternoon appointment, and that was not respected either, and many other things I did weren't respected either. And yet here I am, 5 months later, trying to receive the minimum benefits I should definitely be eligible to receive and had no reason to cancel them in the first place.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP.

Genuinely,

Katherine Sandouk

Loss:
Pros:
  • Used to be helpful
Cons:
  • Extremely unhelpful

User's recommendation: No clue. These people make it impossible. I guess no matter what don't forget your interview.

Resolved
Katherine S Mii

Verified Reviewer

Resolved: Still having unbelievable trouble getting assistance (For almost 6 Months now)

Updated by user May 23, 2024

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with partial refund. My appeal for the full months hasn't yet been resolved, but 2 months have been.

I am waiting now for another interview on the 11th of June. Till then, hopefully that goes as expected or better.

Original review May 22, 2024
They did call me back that day after all my complaints. But since then we are still not exactly on the same page.
To reiterate I haven't had my assistance for almost 6 months now so my situation is pretty urgent, but they still don't seem to get it.

When I was on the phone with them that day, I guess she understood that I could easily just get up and work the 30/hr minimum but it's actually not viable at all and very difficult because of this supposed requisition because I have no childcare and because of my current state financially and mentally.
I have to be able to afford gas to work and I haven't received the support I bare minimum deserve for months and months so who could or should really bring themselves to work that much needing all the things I need just to make a measly 100-200 bucks a week... I mean seriously, it's redundant and not worth it at all.
The program I received at one point which is the same one I am trying to receive again under pretty much the same exact circumstances but worse, did not require me to work at first, that Consultant understood my situation urgency needs well.
The Organization should give me my mental health exemption like they did last time so that I can actually have the means, will and motivation to get back on my feet. I even sent them my doctor's information 2 days ago for them to receive the information on my mental health problems through fax. Should be quick and Easy.

They should have been had all the information they need, and I should be able to get my benefits ASAP.
Again from what I feel and understand is that TANF and SNAP are supposed to give this kind of help with all things like food and cash assistance, job aquisition help and other job resources etc. BUT no, so far they just seem to care about me Ubering/Doordashing wasting my precious time, energy, and resources instead.

I actually need this help so that I can get out of this viscious cycle of just delivering for under minimum wage. There is no way that route is very sustainable at this moment.
Sincerely,
Katherine Sandouk
Pros:
  • Better in some areas than others
Cons:
  • Not thorough and very hard to get in touch simply

Preferred solution: I would like my full benefits that I deserve plus a percentage of at least 10% per month compensation for each month because of all the trouble I have had to endure because of them.

User's recommendation: Only thing that has worked for me in shelby county is complaining to higher up. I never had these issues in Williamson County.

Reese H Ihh

| map-marker Memphis, Tennessee

TRAVESTY AT TN DHS SNAP - WHISTLEBLOWERS COME FORWARD

Tennessee Department of Human Services - TRAVESTY AT TN DHS SNAP - WHISTLEBLOWERS COME...
Tennessee Department of Human Services - TRAVESTY AT TN DHS SNAP -... - Image 2
Tennessee Department of Human Services - TRAVESTY AT TN DHS SNAP -... - Image 3
Original review Mar 18, 2024

Applied for SNAP on 12-15-2023 after a sudden termination - I patiently waited until 1-17-2024 for an appointment never heard anything back, I selected email notifications and checked the dashboard. Called the 866-311-****; waited on hold for 3:40 mins; agent answered and said the appointment was pending and not set.

An appointment letter was MAILED instead and delayed by USPS - snow week and some national mail issue. So, I missed the appointment; I filed an appeal on 2-8-2024. Appeal was submitted but when I go for updates -the system says no appeal has been filed. I replied around 2-20-2024; and received an appointment notice for March 2024, agent called earlier than the appointment time they scheduled - so I called the 866 number and waited 3 hrs 1 min and watched for the SECOND call from the agency.

Chat is USELESS. FINALLY, I connected to an agent, she let me vent and told me she could ONLY reschedule my appointment and that the agent entered that she had just called me roughly 20 mins from the time we were talking (while I was HOLD with DHS). I said NO; I've been on hold for you since I saw her first call. The agent claimed she was resetting my appointment and DISCONNECTED THE LINE.

When the call was ended by the agent; I saw that the interviewer DID CALL A SECOND TIME.

NOW I'm HOLD AGAIN, 54 mins+ TO CONFIRM MY RESCHEDULING. FILE COMPLAINT W/ DHS INSPECTOR GENERAL!!!

JESUS OF NAZARETH HELP THOSE CALLING ON YOU ESPECIALLY THOSE WITH CHILDREN, ARE SICK OR DISABLED, THE CHALLENGED AND THE BROKEN HEARTED & MIND - BE CHRIST.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Program exists
Cons:
  • Failure to provide - most likely intentional - delays designed

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered

User's recommendation: REPORT DHS TO DHS INSPECTOR GENERAL!!! DON'T DEPEND ON GOVT SRVC - GET INDEPENDENT ASAP!

Karen I Mrd

My name is Karen Inman last four of my s.s. is 7266 I need a close out letter so I cam get help in Arizona I have moved out of TN as of April 13 of 24 my email address is kareninman29@***.com. thank

Tennessee Department of Human Services - My name is Karen Inman last four of my s.s. is...

I need a close out letter I have moved out of TN to Arizona my name is Karen Inman the last 4 of my s.s.is 7266 my Granddaughter jayda has moved with me old address is 4700 Shubert Road apt 1002 Knoxville TN 37912 New address is 11001 N7 st apt 1187 Arizona 85020.

Preferred solution: A close out letter

Kari W Cnr

My food stamp case

Hello. I have filed an appeal on my food stamp case, but since the amount is not correct, we are struggling right now.

I don't know how my mom is getting over $500 for two people and I'm getting $386 for four people. I've been getting $900+ for a couple of years and nothing has changed.

Please contact me ASAP or please fix my case. Thank you.

Preferred solution: Full refund

Christy H Mav

| map-marker Cleveland, Tennessee

Closed my case

I had 3 interviews within 3 weeks each one telling me the same thing and i turned in the documents twice and they still closed my case , they don't have any of my information right, my daughter and i have no food and i don't receive the correct amount. I get alot less than i should and my daughter never received her summer card either. Im in

Loss:
Cons:
  • Godawful

Preferred solution: My foodstamps so I can eat

Opona A

Issue with services

I have had issues only this year to the point of contacting the commissioner's office! Now, one benefit has been closed and another has been brought down to under $100 because of non-taxable military disability funds! This department doesn't like to talk with people; they just send letters or emails that you can't respond to by phone or email!

User's recommendation: Speak with your local representative about this department

Resolved
Marlisha Hko

| map-marker Atlanta, Georgia

Resolved: I have been trying to get a letter showing my case has been closed sent to my home in atlanta Ga.

Updated by user May 12, 2024

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with apology. Obtained information needed to finish registration.

Original review Apr 11, 2024

I am continually calling the Memphis number getting no satisfactory answer or interaction with anyone. I don't understand why it is so hard to get help that is most life saving.

I have been calling for days trying to get this information sent to me.You all's services suck! Toney Reid 901-412-****

Laura L Sdq

| map-marker Knoxville, Tennessee

Caseworker did not call on scheduled interview time and date 2 months ago and I still have not received my food stamps or a phone call. Online for the status of my application it just says submitted.

DHS IS SEVERELY INCOMPETENT AND SHOULD BE FINED FOR EVERY SINGLE DAY AND EVERY SINGLE PERSON ESPECIALLY EVERY CHILD THAT HAS TO GO TO BED HUNGRY BECAUSE THE FREAKING CASEWORKER DIDNT DO THEIR JOB. I swear, the amount of time I spend contacting people or businesses over one issue or another bc someone didn't do their job is so much I can't even count it.

2 MONTHS AGO I was to have a phone interview which really doesn't make sense anyway because it was just a 6 months recertification or so I thought. Maybe one of the reasons that the workers are stating that their backlogged is because doing this asinine phone interview and having to fill out a whole other application at 6 months when you're supposed to be approved for a year or at least it's the way they used to do it. This is absolutely ridiculous I got food stamps for 5 months after my first month of emergency stamps and so August 3rd I wish to have a phone interview with caseworker Kathy Ogle. She never called she hasn't returned my messages I have filed a complaint or actually feel that a customer inquiry form on dhs's website was still no response nothing is being done meanwhile because I have been sick I have been unemployed for 3 months now and after she missed the interview and I never received any communication after that not in the mail or anything and after getting my food stamps in August well here came this month and I got no food stamps hey so what in *** am I supposed to do what are my kids supposed to do?

It is absolutely ludicrous that anyone should have to put up with this. It really and truly they don't care they really don't give a crap because it's not them. I think they should be fine for every single day and every single person that goes without food because of their backlog. I don't know what the hell's going on but Tennessee's government and state offices are in sad condition.

First last year I dealt with unemployment in their stupid computer glitch which caused me to go for several weeks without even getting my unemployment benefits back then causing scheduled payments that I had to credit cards and to loans to be several weeks late because they were late paying me but they didn't give a crap it wouldn't their credit that got destroyed it was mine so thanks to them my freaking credit score went down by over 100 points due to multiple late payments due to no fault on my own it was completely 100% their fault they are obligated to make those unemployment payments to you if you have worked a set amount of time then the law states that if you were terminated or laid off you were to receive unemployment benefits because you've been paying into it with your taxes anyway and that is owed to you and there's no excuse for you not receiving what you are supposed to be receiving. Same goes for these food stamps I mean my God how can they justify letting people go freaking hungry. And as long as they're not suffering any consequences nothing's going to change that's why I believe the state of Tennessee should have to pay each and every single one of us that has had to go without our food stamps and when did this whole 6 months thing start happening anyway? It used to be that every 6 months you just filled out a change form they sent you a form ask if anything changed if you didn't you just signed it and turned it if it did change you wrote on there what changed and then they acted accordingly but now every 6 months they're making you feel like a whole nother application go through a whole other phone interview process no wonder the freaking backlogged if they're having to do that stupid crap!

I am so Furious I don't even know what to do with all this anger I'm calling the family assistance center this morning and I don't want to hear their excuse about them being backlog because to me that's not an excuse because how you going to tell my children's stomachs to be patient they're just backlogged that won't work and to be honest with you pantries are going dry because they're doing this to everybody there's on the food in the communities that pantries to feed everybody I don't get unemployment benefits anymore either so I have nothing there is just no excuse for this and I want to know who I can contact they can actually do something about this a representative the governor somebody that is a guarantee you if this DHS was being fine or having to face severe ramifications for them being slow I guarantee you they get on it real fast. For those of us that have worked our whole lives like me I started working when I was 16 and I've never stopped I'm only not working because I'm sick my autoimmune disorder has been wreaking havoc with me for about a year and a half now you know I worked hard my whole life paid my taxes did what I was supposed to do and part of paying taxes is those tax dollars are used for things like this for people less fortunate or people that need to depend on benefits because everybody needs help from time to time everybody goes through tough times. But we are absolutely OWED so much better than this. Thus us absolutely *** And okay so maybe there's a little bit of backlog okay so tell me why it's been over 2 months since my phone interview was supposed to happen I don't believe for one second that they're so backlogged and seeing as how if they work a 40-hour week how they haven't had time to get to a phone interview a 15 minute phone interview that was supposed to take place over 2 months ago this is utterly unacceptable and I want to know if anyone out there knows who can be contacted about this I mean everything around us is falling apart nobody can afford housing anymore nobody's getting a freaking unemployment on time which is substantially ruining People's Credit like mine and really I deserve that I'm going to say something about that again I'm sorry I'm rambling but I'm so mad my credit should not have been destroyed unemployment should have gone to bat for me and should get my credit report repaired because they're the ones that caused that not me.

And now my kids don't even have enough freaking food to *** my kids don't even have enough freaking food to *** eat because they're *** lazy *** incompetent slow *** caseworkers. Unacceptable purely unacceptable every one of them should be fired because you're and everything you can to avoid ever having to deal with these piece of *** workers do anything messing with people's lives and that is just simply intolerable.WtfAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

Loss:

Preferred solution: All the food stamps I should have rec'd, a nominal sum if money for the suffering and to be punitive against worker and dept.

User's recommendation: Do anything you can to avoid EVER having to deal with these piece of *** loser lazy *** caseworkers.

Guest

You need to write a letter to Tennessee Governor. I work with families that have been lied to by whoever it is that is suppose to be calling them for their phone interview.

At least 13 of my clients have been told they missed their phone interview when in actuality no one ever called them for the interview as they have checked phone records and never missed a call from DHS. I am currently trying to file a complaint and will be doing so with the Governor of Tennessee.

Davarion Klj

| map-marker New York, New York

To find out why our foodsyamps are not renewed

We had an interview and was supposed to be sent a letter of how much we were getting, no letter came. I called them the day before we were to get them to find out they had cut my family of 5 off with no warning.

I'm 63 year old disabled man I can't work, my wife works the pay isn't the best. Now we are stuck trying to find food for our family.

Guest

So you're complaining about not getting free food? Tax payers love you.

Marlisha Hko

| map-marker Atlanta, Georgia

To set things straight

My complaint is against Department of human services period in both Tennessee and Georgia. With all the virtual help that basically most times for me I feel it's really no help.

They give you these numbers where you have to wait on the phone for more than two hours for them to tell you they can't help you. Stressful for a person such as me at 67 years old. They have simply made everything more complicated.

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy Thankyou. Toney Reid

User's recommendation: I don't have any that I think will help. I'm still trying to get the case closure letter.

Jessika Wla
map-marker Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Haven't received my new food stamp card

My food stamp card was lost so I had to call and cancel and have a new one sent and I haven't received it yet and that has been 2 weeks ago or more

Natasha K Inz

| map-marker Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Nobody is calling for interviews

I've waited months for a appt being homeless and then I finally get a appointment last week and no calls so I call the office and ,866 number nobody answers or theres 145 min wait not 1 hour and 45 mins but 145 mins then after 130 mins they disconnect the phone. I go to office and they reschedule for yesterday again NO CALL so I go back to the office and wasn't as nice today.

NOBODY IS CALLING TO DO OUR INTERVIEWS BUT THEN THERE PUTTING ON THE PORTAL THAT ITS OUR FAULT BECAUSE WE MISS OUR INTERVIEW AND THATS NOT TRUE.. This is not okay at all to lie on us and its them not doin there jobs.. There was 2 other ppl in the same office this morning with same prob 1 lady said this has happen to her 5 times now. The government needs to be lookin into there employees and doing something.

Ppl are waiting months and months for appts and then they just say and do whatever they want to and we are suffering.. KIDS are starving because of the state not doing there part and this is wrong.. I pray that these ppl treating us and our kids this way never have to see there kids cry because there starving and homeless because we spend our bill money for food and then we get evicted and nobody seems to care.. God don't like ugly and we need to pray for everybody its hard out here as it is in this world and it doesn't help being shoved farther and farther down.

The only ppl getting punished is us and our families.. ANGER DOESNT EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE HOW I FEEL..

Loss:
Cons:
  • Nobody answers the phones or returns calls if u leave message
  • We get our benefits taking for nothing

Preferred solution: I feel like these workers that are lien and not doing there jobs to be punished like y'all would do us if we didn't do what we are ask to do. Gas that I had to pay twice

User's recommendation: Go to your local office and demand a superviser and refuse to leave till you get help and call the news or a reporter..

michelle m Vgs

Verified Reviewer

It took forever to get SNAP to give me a whole 1 month + few extra days of benefits They required multiple things sent to them within 10 days. Because there were 2 items that was going to require

Extra time to submit, I called them, waited 3 hours on hold and they said no problem. I then submitted all necessary documents, called, waited 3 hours on hold, was told maybe the documents were there.

I reloaded upload again. Called again - and these last 2 calls said your case has been closed, spoke with someone who said yes we have everything, wait CM to review. Called again today, once again message that case closed, waited on hold for 2 hours to have them disconnect me and now office is closed.

Im so angry right now because Im owed these benefits. I worked 45 years and when its my turn to need assistance all Im getting is the run around!

Loss:
Pros:
  • One person seemed to want to help
Cons:
  • No one actually fixes the problem

Preferred solution: I want my SNAP benefits as agreed when I submitted all documentation required

User's recommendation: I have none

map-marker Bristol, Tennessee

FRUSTRATED

This office is useless.WHATS THE POINT IN HAVING WORKERS THAT DNT GET *** DONE IN A TIMELY FASHION.Others are mandated to answer appointment calls n what not and if we dnt we get the wrath and have to fight for benefits.Calling a line to spend hours on hold to get no where is another issue DO better Tennessee

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article